The Secret is like Amway for the soul38 ratings since posting on Saturday, March 10, 2007
in SF Bay Areawebsite
based on 38 ratings
Barking up the wrong tree entirely
Wishing doesn't cause stuff to happen. Any 8-year-old knows this. How any grown adult can buy into this is, ignoring all of his or her life experience, is beyond me.
Thoughts don't create reality, actions do. In this universe of cause and effect, our actions are the effect of other causes (circumstances). What this movie tries to do is convince us that WE are the ultimate cause, and the universe must bow to our whims.
What's even sillier, is the idea that the Secret "works always." If it didn't work, then you just didn't believe hard enough! Since they can't teach you how to believe, then it's all pretty useless even if the Secret were real. - Brent , posted 01/20/08
Come up with your own secret
So, I finally saw The Secret last night. I thought it was pretty bad for the most part. There are some elements of truth in it, but it's buried beneath all this pseudo New Age, get rich quick mumbo jumbo.
It also says many things that are just flat out wrong and what I consider really bad advice. Let me explain.
First, there is nothing wrong with the law of attraction in a very general sense. In fact, I do believe it to some degree. You tend to attract people like yourself, who are at the same place in life. This is kinda obvious, in my opinion. You surround yourself with people that you can relate to and these people in turn does have an influence on you.
But to then turn this around and say that everything in your life has been brought on by you is just complete nonsense. There are things that happen that are outside of your control and influence.
Those who were abused, did they bring this about? Those who are victims of violence, did they ask for it? So the fact that this is now my third 6 month job, was this somehow of my doing? Did I send out negative vibrations? No, I had a very positive mindset and shit still happened.
The opposite is also true. Back when I lost my very first job and you couldn't transfer H1Bs, I thought it was all over for me and I had to go back to Japan. But a job came my way. Many good things have come my way even though I had a very bleak outlook.
The truth of the matter is there are many things in life that are outside of your control. And you have to make do with it. This is part of life.
The Secret says you don't have to deal with negativity and that all you have to do is ask the universe for what you want. This is total crap. You actually have to do hard work to accomplish things. Things don't just fall into your lap. To get to where I am today, I had to do a lot of work on myself. I've also received lots of help from others. And no, I didn't apply the Secret.
The second thing that bothered me about the Secret was what it said about good and bad feelings. I don't believe feelings are good or bad; they just are. It's what you do with your feelings that make the difference.
Here again, is a belief system that labels some feelings as bad and that some feelings should be avoided. And let me quote a Zen proverb that totally goes against this: the obstacle IS the path.
If you avoid bad feelings, you will never grow. Life contains unpleasant experiences and it's how you deal with the ups and downs that define your life. If you keep running away from all your problems, you are really not free in my opinion. To be free is to accept all of what life is sending your way, including both the good and the bad.
Also, labeling a feeling as good or bad is subjective. For a child molester, raping a child feels good. Does that mean it is really good? The problem is humans many times think something is good even though it has a destructive side. Nothing in The Secret helps you to discern between things that feel good and things that are actually healthy for you.
And lastly, those people on the Secret who says it's the truth and it works and blah blah, can they offer any concrete proof? All they give is stories that prove The Secret works. How do we know these stories really did happen? And what about all those other stories where things didn't turn out wonderfully? I bet they will just say that The Secret really wasn't applied. Which is a load of crock, as you can just say if it works The Secret was applied and if it doesn't it wasn't applied correctly. This is identical to what cults like Scientology says, which I tried once in my early 20s. If it didn't work for you or you don't agree with their teachings, they say you didn't understand it correctly. How convenient to just dismiss criticisms like that!
And what's all this about how these great thinkers and religions know about The Secret? They quote things here and there and say they applied the Secret. Take Carl Jung for example. I've read his work extensively and I don't see anything about a law of attraction in his work. They take things out of context and say this proves The Secret. Nothing Jung has ever said even remotely resembles The Secret. Except for maybe his concept of synchronicity, but it's not like you can will something into existence. It's really more about things happening for a reason and for you to determine what that is. I think what bothers me the most about all this is how they twist things around and make it conform to The Secret.
So in the end, did I get anything out of watching the Secret or was it just a complete waste of my time? Well, actually I did get something out of it, but it was really more of a starting point then anything else.
I do like positive visualization and believe it can help. I liked the part about how they say you should write down what you want, what your dreams are. This reminds me of what a guy once told me. He said that after WWII ended, he figured out what to do with his life by first visualizing what he wanted to be.
But my God, the examples they use in the Secret is about getting a car or a house or a million dollars or chicks or whatever. It's all about me me me.
What about world peace? Or social justice? Or helping others in need? The Secret doesn't deal with any of these problems. In fact, they make the suggestion that you invite problems by thinking about them. Yeah, right. So all these problems in the world are caused by people not having positive thoughts?
Anyway, I can't really say that watching The Secret helped me, but I can definitely use it as fodder to come up with my own Secret. - Forest , posted 05/31/07
that humanity is unconcsious and blinded by mind fooood!!!
well i just here to tell all ....to please see this if you actually HAVE the secret!!!
www.youtube.com/watch - zebell , posted 04/28/07
What its good for
"...rich people love this message. whatever." - blue
Haha! absolutely. Makes it all so convenient. - MeliaArhrt , posted 03/26/07
easy to knock, but there's some truth in there
Like a lot of people on here, I watched "The Secret" very skeptically. And while I do think the movie takes a very simplistic, materialistic approach to what is ultimately a very subtle spiritual/psychological concept, I also found it helpful to me at a time in my life when I'm grappling with a lot of changes, many of them difficult and/or scary.
All I can say for myself, is that I did not find a job I loved until I was receptive to the idea that I *could* find a job I loved. I did not find a relationship I could be happy in until I was capable of visualizing myself in a happy relationship. We do create our own realities to the extent that we can only exist comfortably in circumstances we can believe in. Does that kind of thinking have the power to make you rich or cure cancer? Maybe not, but it certainly couldn't hurt. - Unsubscribed , posted 03/26/07
"grain of salt"
The ideas are powerful. The presentation is hoakey and VERY materialistic. It is presented as so many get rich quick infomercials. That said, it's wonderful to clairify what you truly want in life and orient yourelf towards creating it. What a lot of people seem to miss out on is the act part. That involves doing the work and tasks presented to you to make your dreams happen. Manifest means to actively create something as opposed to wishing and expecting it to appear. I think this is one of the dangers of the movie, that simply wishing alone creates. What is especially powerful is that when you know what you want and believe in it, then you feel the freedom to act to make it happen.
EA! - EnthusiAdam! , posted 03/26/07
Hey I got checks in the mail. - Unsubscribed , posted 03/25/07
These reviews just keep surfacing. Ugh.
Get real people. You get bills in the mail because you are purchasing goods and services, not because your thoughts are "attracting" them. You move forward and prosper in life because you actively do things to reach your goals, not because you simply wish for it. As for the 'miracle' cures for cancer and paralysis, what would you say to the people who are not magically cured? Is it their fault because they didn't want to be well badly enough? Did their family not pray hard enough to the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Please. Also, from a physicist's perspective the film is absolute garbage and full of misinformation. - Unsubscribed , posted 03/24/07
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."
For every positive thought, you are creating an opposite. - Unsubscribed , posted 03/24/07
This is real. Period.
I realize many people are defensive about money. Nowhere in this movie does it say rich people are "good" and poor people are "bad"
Wealth is not enlightenment, realizing we are a co-creators learning the lessons we choose to, HOWEVER we choose to learn them on this planet, is enlightenment and freedom.
This movie could have stressed that our true desires are all unique, and that we don't need to invalidate them just because they do not "measure up" to fancy cars and mansions! I'm am sure every little detail could not fit into a one-two hour film.
The messege in the film about healing miracles, cancer, paralysis is important.
People die and get ill all the time and we see it on the news all the time.
People also heal themselves all the time and we NEED to see more of it!
Bianca - Unsubscribed , posted 03/24/07
I would say more like Mcdonalds
full of empty carbs and grease - Unsubscribed , posted 03/24/07
more hypersubjectivity propaganda
this is another example of the popular propaganda that says we are solely responsible for your reality. rich people love this message. whatever. - blue-j , posted 03/24/07
i'm just glad that i'm not the only one who is disturbed by this - lance , posted 03/24/07
A load of old shite.
If this positive thought attracting like working, then negative reviews like this shouldn't turn up, should they?
Complete horsecrap like every other form of spiritual or religious twaddle out there. They just got their viral marketing right.
Exercise your mind in a more useful way, skepticism and logic. - GRIM , posted 03/24/07
excellent at meeting people where they're at.
if we can ease some stresses regarding money, we not only get attention of the masses, but also free up energy for raising consciousness in other ways.
money....a rather large root in the collective shadow of humanity. it can not be avoided. the myth of scarcity is everywhere, lurks in the dark spots, and has our energy pinned up.
waiting patiently for the Secret Part 2......where they take people to the next level. AFTER meeting them where they are. - andrea , posted 03/24/07
it's a gateway drug
At first I was turned off by the whole "manifesting abundance" in the form of cars & mansions aspect of it (abnd cheezy production values) but can any of us deny the huge catalytic power this film has had on the general public consciousness? Starting with money stuff is the best way to reach most Americans IMO.
For many this film will be an effective gateway drug towards real spirituality and expanded awareness.
As a film, it can certainly be criticized but as a change catalyst it's an f-ing work of art. - Margot , posted 03/24/07
The "Secret" should have remained so.
The best word to describe "The Secret"
is Blather. It's main aim is to keep mammon as your God/Goddess. If you can't make it then it must be your fault. This movie proves that the bar has been lowered for what people consider to be spiritual. - Unsubscribed , posted 03/23/07
3 = Neutrality
If you believe everything is connected, then perhaps this movie should be given it's life cycle without judgment. Some people will see something new, useful and potentially beneficial. Personally, the infomercial style production and monetary themes turned me off, I would have preferred cliff notes:
100 quotes from the Secret
1. We all work with one infinite power
2. The Secret is the Law of Attraction
3. Whatever is going on in your mind is what you are attracting
4. We are like magnets-like attract like. You become AND attract what you think
5. Every thought has a frequency. Thoughts send out a magnetic energy
6. People think about what they don't want and attract more of the same
7. Thought = creation. If these thoughts are attached to powerful emotions (good or bad) that speeds the creation
8. You attract your dominant thoughts
9. Those who speak most of illness have illness, those who speak most of prosperity have prosperity
10. It's different from "wishful" thinking
11. You can't have a universe without the mind entering into it
12. Choose your thoughts carefully ... you are the masterpiece of your life
13. It's OK that thoughts don't manifest into reality immediately (if we saw
a picture of an elephant and it instantly appeared, that would be too soon)
14. EVERYTHING in your life you have attracted ... accept that fact ... it's true.
15. Your thoughts cause your feelings
16. We don't need to complicate all the "reasons" behind our emotions.
It's much simpler than that. Two categories .. good feelings, bad feelings.
17. Thoughts that bring about good feelings mean you are on the right track.
>> Thoughts that bring about bad feelings means you are not on the right track.
18. Whatever it is you are feeling is a perfect reflection of what is in the process of becoming
19. You get exactly what you are FEELING
20. Happy feelings will attract more happy circumstances
21. You can begin feeling whatever you want (even if it's not there)... the universe will correspond to the nature of your song
22. What you focus on with your thought and feeling is what you
attract into your experience
23. What you think and what you feel and what actually manifests is ALWAYS a match-no exception
24. Shift your awareness
25. "You create your own universe as you go along" ~Winston Churchill
26. It's important to feel good ( ( ( (((good))) ) ) )
27. You can change your emotion immediately Â… by thinking of something joyful, or singing a song, or remembering a happy experience
28. When you get the hang of this, before you know it you will KNOW you are the creator
29. Life can and should be phenomenal ... and it will be when you consciously apply the Law of Attraction
30. Universe will re-arrange itself accordingly
31. Start by using this sentence for all of your wants: "I'm so happy and grateful now that.... "
32. You don't need to know HOW the universe is going to rearrange itself
33. LOA is simply figuring out for yourself what will generate the positive feelings of having it NOW
34. You might get an inspired thought or idea to help you move towards what you want faster
35. The universe likes SPEED. Don't delay, don't second-guess, don't doubt...
36. When the opportunity or impulse is there ... ACT
37. You will attract everything you require-money, people, connections... PAY ATTENTION to what's being set in front of you
38. You can start with nothing ... and out of nothing or no way-a WAY will be provided.
39. HOW LONG??? No rules on time ... the more aligned you are with positive feelings the quicker things happen
40. Size is nothing to the universe (unlimited abundance if that's what you wish) We make the rules on size and time
41. No rules according to the universe ... you provide the feelings of having it now and the universe will respond
42. Most people offer the majority of their thought in response to what they are observing (bills in the mail, being late, having bad luck...etc.)
43. You have to find a different approach to what is through a different vantage point
44. "All that we are is a result of what we have thought"-Buddha
45. What can you do right now to turn your life around? Be Grateful
46. Gratitude will bring more into our lives immediately
47. What we think about and THANK about is what we bring about
48. What are the things you are grateful for? Feel the gratitude...focus on what you have right now that you are grateful for
49. Play the picture in your mind-focus on the end result
50. VISUALIZE!!! Rehearse your future
51. VISUALIZE!!! See it, feel it! This is where action begins
52. Feel the joy ... feel the happiness
53. An affirmative thought is 100 times more powerful than a negative one
54. "What this power is, I cannot say. All I know is that it exists." ~ Alexander Graham Bell
55. Our job is not to worry about the "How". The "How" will show up out of the commitment and belief in the "Why"
56. The Hows are the domain of the universe. It always knows the quickest, fastest, most harmonious way between you and your dream
57. If you turn it over to the universe, you will be surprised and dazzled by what is delivered .. this is where magic and miracles happen
58. Turn it over to the universe daily... but it should never be a chore
59. Feel exhilarated by the whole process ... high, happy, in tune
60. The only difference between people who are really living this way is they have habituated ways of being
61. They remember to do it all the time
62. Create a Vision Board-pictures of what you want to attract ... every day look at it and get into the feeling state of already having acquired these wants
63. "Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions." Albert Einstein
64. Decide what you want ... believe you can have it, believe you deserve it, believe it's possible for you
65. Close your eyes and visualize having what you already want-and the feeling of having it already
66. Focus on being grateful for what you have already ... enjoy it!! Then release into the universe. The universe will manifest it
67. "Whatever the mind of man can conceive, it can achieve." ~W. Clement Stone
68. Set a goal so big that if you achieved it, it would blow your mind
69. When you have an inspired thought, you must trust it and act on it
70. How can you become more prosperous?? INTEND IT!!
71. 'Checks are coming in the mail regularly'... or change your bank statement to whatever balance you want in there... and get behind the
feeling of having it.
72. Life is meant to be abundant in ALL areas...
73. Go for the sense of inner joy and peace then all outside things appear
74. We are the creators of our universe
75. Relationships: Treat yourself the way you want to be treated by others. Love yourself and you will be loved
76. Always cultivate a healthy respect for yourself
77. For those you work with or interact with regularly .. get a notebook and write down positive aspects of each of those people
78. Write down the things you like most about them (don't expect change from them). Law of attraction will not put you in the same space together if your frequencies don't match
79. When you realize your potential to feel good, you will ask no one to be different in order for you to feel good
80. You will free yourself from the cumbersome impossibilities of needing to control the world, your friends, your mate, your children...
81. You are the only one that creates your reality
82. No one else can think or feel for you .. its YOU .. ONLY YOU
83. Health: thank the universe for your own healing. Laughter, stress-free happiness will keep you healthy
84. Your immune system will heal itself
85. Parts of our bodies are replaced every day, every week…Within a few years we have a brand new body
86. See yourself living in a new body. Hope leads to recovery. Happy leads to a happier biochemistry. Stress degrades the body
87. Remove stress from the body and the body regenerates itself. You can heal yourself
88. Learn to become still and take your attention away from what you don't want. Place your attention on what you wish to experience
89. When the voice and vision on the inside become more profound and clear than the opinions on the outside, then you have mastered your life
90. You are not here to try to get the world to be just as you want it. You are here to create the world around you that you choose
91. And allow the world as others choose to see it, exist as well
92. People think that if everyone knows the power of the LOA there won't be enough to go around .. This is a lie that's been ingrained in us
and makes so many greedy
93. The truth is there is more than enough love, creative ideas, power, joy,
>> happiness to go around
94. All of this abundance begins to shine through a mind that is aware of it's own infinite nature. There's enough for everyone. See it.
Believe it. It will show up for you
95. So let the variety of your reality thrill you as you choose all the
>> things you want. Get behind the good feelings of all your wants
96. Write your script. When you see things you don't want, don't think about them, write about them, talk about them, push against them, or join groups that focus on them. Remove your attention from don't wants and place it on do wants
97. We are mass energy. Everything is energy. EVERYTHING
98. Don't define yourself by your body. You are an infinite being that's connected to everything in the universe
99. Our bodies have distracted us from our energy. We are the infinite field of unfolding possibilities
100. Are your thoughts worthy of you? If not, NOW is the time to change them. You can begin right were you are, right now. Nothing matters but this moment and what you are focusing your attention on - Zinga , posted 03/22/07
Obviously doesn't work
I've been visualizing this review going away for days now and obviously THAT hasn't happened. :P - Unsubscribed , posted 03/22/07
just let it pass away quietly
can we just let this review die?
people love it, people hate it.
what else are you watching?
i really don't think The Secret deserves this much energy or attention. - pani*licious , posted 03/22/07
the law of pessimism
states that you will inevitably project your own shadows onto your environment in an attempt to avoid confronting your deepest fears. People who feel innately unworthy of happiness, health or wealth will think the worst of those who wholeheartedly accept their birthright. Amway sells products that do nothing to enrich us in any way other than materially, so of course their methods are purely material in nature and motivated by material gains (by any means necessary). I am stunned to find that anyone could doubt the intentions of people who dedicated their time and energy to a project that does nothing but help empower others. Is it just because they are charging $5 for the download? Is it because they have designed a product line to go along with the video? Are you as critical of Disney for planting their movie characters in Happy Meal boxes or do you only pick on people who are actually making positive changes in this world?
Or, perhaps do you (and i am addressing all of you who think the worst of this movie) fear these changes because you're not ready to step up and be part of the wave of consciousness that will withstand the blows we are about to receive? The Secret is a very gentle, kind, yet potent nudge for us all to get with the program. Our successes, and failures, lie in our own hands. This is the absolute truth.
My kids' father's attitude toward life has been drastically changed by The Secret. And you know something? I told him about it, asked him several times over the course of two weeks if he was ready to watch it (because i knew he needed a cosmic kick in the ass), and he seemed resistant. I assumed it was due to his usual suspicion of "New Agey" stuff, or because he was assuming it was Kindergarten spirituality like the Celestine Prophecy. So one day i just put it on, acting like i was putting it on for my son to watch, and then i left for work. Both of them seemed only mildly interested. The next day he thanked me for doing that, telling me that it really woke him up to owning the power he has to create his own reality. I have felt the shift in him ever since, and i have noticed that same shift in everyone i know who has seen it. Yes, it speaks in layman's terms of concepts that might be obvious to people who consider themselves "high vibrational people". But i have to say this, love is the highest vibration of all, and if you feel anything but love in your heart and soul, if you have doubt, fear, anger, resentment or jealousy, you ain't no avatar yet.
So go watch it again. - madame7 , posted 03/22/07
Half of the Secret
We get what the universe reflects back to us, so we are only half of the eqation, the other half may know better . . .
Plus add to this the fact that massive subconscious imprints are what is creating our reality. The Secret alludes to possibilities, if most of society sat and looked within to actually find out what they want what makes their heart sing the "Secret" maybe more effective.
To just hate on the film because people made money from making it and marketing it is pointless. People make money by marketing stuff, this kind of film what have never made beyond concept 10 years ago. People want this kind of inspiration and it helps to give them a bit of direction, more direction than FOX or CNN offer . ..
Aloha - Mark , posted 03/21/07
Regarding "The Secret" ..
Notice the similarities:
Elaine ... - Ms. Gnostic Spark... , posted 03/21/07
Introductory Natural Laws+Commercial Viability = A Bit of Mass Consciousness Shifting
And that's all good in my book. Yes, the Law of Attraction is not a new concept (ok, that part was kind of the thrust of the "passed down from the ancients" bit in the movie) and yes, material abundance is part of the focus (as is spiritual consciousness, physical wellbeing and manifestation of relationships), but why is this a bad thing? The people that I've talked to that have gotten irate about The Secret haven't watched it, or read it, and yet are still having a visceral negative reaction to it. That to me, sounds like defensiveness. Fine, watch it, or read it, and try it. Nothing to lose, maybe something to gain. Either way, the heavy reactions tell me this ain't about the movie. Which, again, is kind of the point. Our perception and values of those perceptions inherently affect our experience. So if you want to get irate about The Secret and how people are making money off of it, that's entirely your choice, but my vote is try it and see. - Aghanashini , posted 03/21/07
I agree that to really....really "low vibrational" people that this film is great; mostly b/c of the repetitiveness that is necessary to some people. Hopefully it gets the wheels turning in those.... Don't get me wrong; I don't feel that anyone who enjoyed this movie was low vib., the movie was fine. I have just always been surprised by the overwhelming reviews I've heard.
But for me and like minded others - I was annoyed by the idea that you could think your dreams true instead of working. Yes, positive thought is key (duh) and the "documentary" goes over and over about the laws of attraction. But, to change your life, and to change the world, we have to be better human beings. Just how much do you hold yourself accountable? In order to evolve we need to be better and more imaginative in thought than any thing any film has to offer.
I think it (life) has largely to do with acceptance, constructive thought & intentional actions....This film I feel is spawning once-humble and level headed peps that have seen this movie and that are now fine with being more materialistic and self righteous... hey but that's just me.
"question reality. think for yourself" T.L. - ONA<3 , posted 03/21/07
do you think Paris Hilton is better than any of us at visualizing her material success and that's why she is so stinking rich? no, she was born into a family that has gobs of money. is there anything spiritual about that? no. - jεnnalεx , posted 03/21/07
I own it and like it!
Sure there is more than just the law of attraction, but the fact that it's out there in the world and people are responding to this movie in a positive way (most people anyway) is a good thing. At least the focus is on thought and taking personal responsibility for your life. I have one thing I would improve on though, is to add a glossary booklet to define the "technical" spiritual terms they use. The general public isn't literate enough to even understand the message correctly. The philosophy is great, the message is great, but it will be worthless if the viewer doesn't fully understand it. Some people on here didn't quite understand that the point isn't about "getting material things". It's about abundance in general, and being more happy in general. Money and material things are useful, but they made a point in the movie that meaningful relationships are important too. - Unsubscribed , posted 03/21/07
I really wanted to just say "eh"
but not sure the meaning would come across. Be sure to hear the apprehensive squeamish whine to it. "...eh"
This movie is an eye opener for those whose eyes needed opened. I certainly don't think it's much of a secret though. However, we all need a reminder now and again.
As a man thinketh....
- Unsubscribed , posted 03/21/07
New Age blatherings
The West has a real problem of confusing material well being with spiritual well being. Both paradigms will need to balanced at some point, but this film isn't the device to do it. The Secret is further proof of how obsessed we are with materialism...icky poo. A strange message of hope I guess, but still, icky poo. - SatsiSonik , posted 03/21/07
nice pyramid scheme
for more detailed professional review of why i think this gimmick is lame see:
www.salon.com/mwt/feature.../the_secret/ - dr. trix , posted 03/20/07
temperance on the delverance
I am glad this film was made and that it's going wide circulation. For anyone with a spiritual depth it will not harm. It might irk- but it actually deals in something that needs to be on the lips of more people who suffer in scarcity consciousness, in attracting what doesn't serve. I love the fact that it's a cultural reference point that can be shared amongst people that you run into. I love that i can hand this off to someone who is all about money and maybe bridge that into spirituality and the law of attraction.
I am actually reading the e-book of the 1910 book the Secret was based upon-The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace D. Wattles and finding it adds to the viewing. Yes, the title will trigger people who don't equate wealth with spirituality and that alone is worthy of discussion. Can spiritual beings make good use of wealth and give a more noble view of what is often viewed as irresponsible decadence?
I for one hope so. - Sobey , posted 03/20/07
i hated the movie, but could not articulate why as well as Geoff Olson does in this article:
commonground.ca/iss/070218...ecret.shtml - Jeremy , posted 03/15/07
It all about shifting your perspective....
There will always be people in this world that don't want to hear (or be reminded of) a great message: Thought creates reality. Many folks require hard scientific proof in every grain of sand, with no trust in divine order, and if you are like this and cannot surrender your current paradigm of the world for a visionary dream of a better future for yourself, then do not waste your money on "The Secret." By all means, if you don't like uplifting, inspiring movies that ask you to take a leap of faith, DON'T watch "the Secret."
For the rest of us, the thing I like about "the Secret" is that it breaks down a practical method of applying the Law of Attraction to one's life. At the very least, if you are stuck in a rut and need a good reminder that YOU control the outcome of your future, please check this movie out if you have a chance. Sure, it gets a little preachy, but sometimes we need guidance like this to get us through stagnation and help us to break through destructive behavioral patterns.
It's great that we're talking about it though, and subsequently, that people are deriving value from it.
- Sweeney , posted 03/10/07
A little torn, a little supportive
I like it and I didn't. So I'm giving "the movie" an average grade because I don't believe the concepts were approached correctly. But that's not to say the philosophy is invalid as a result. There's no use knocking the message due to the messenger. Watching the movie I was keenly aware that it's method of indoctrination was through simple repetition, which is pretty tedious and perhaps even disingenuous . However, I'm willing to overlook it from the perspective that the film makers aren't particularly gifted in their craft and defaulted to this ham-handed style of story telling - like that would ever happen.
Most critics entirely miss the point that this methodology is not about simply applying the Pollyanna principle and suddenly things magically appear at will. That's the ironic inside joke. Even a psyche 101 class can very easily make a case for the power of positive thinking and how it leads to intentions and outcomes that are seemingly effortless but clearly are not, though it's charming and a bit fun to believe otherwise. Essentially, if you think you're happy you are, and your actions will support and propel your happiness in all aspects of endeavor. Which means your actions will bring about what you seek no matter how indirect it may seem. Where on the other hand if you're miserable you'll spawn misery, pain, failed venture, isolation, etc., etc.
Simply put this *Secret* method is essentially the dynamics of devised self-fulfilling prophecy with the added bonus of an optimistic outlook to propel you forward with charismatic self-assuredness. At the very least the subject is worthy of exploration and applying as a portion of ones overall philosophy and efforts to lead a balanced and productive life. - Unsubscribed , posted 03/10/07
For a while I was wondering when they were going to break out the skin care kits but that never happened. And the stuff they talk about in the film really does work, it's very simple. Get that dream board going! - Deepfog , posted 03/10/07
"The Secret is like Amway for the Soul"
One person has been visualizing that this revue would go away. Since that has not happened maybe it is time to question the value of some of those concepts about visualization etc.
- Unsubscribed , posted 03/27/07